Premier League Round-Up – Week Five
Welcome Offer banners Welcome Offer banners

Premier League Round-Up – Week Five

The curtain has come down on another weekend of Premier League action and there was no shortage of drama in England's top flight. From stunning strikes to stoppage time saves, here is our round-up from week five of the Premier League.


Tottenham Hotspur 0-3 Chelsea

Things finally clicked into gear for Thomas Tuchel’s men at the Tottenham Hotspur Stadium, during a second half in which Chelsea simply blew Spurs away.

Thiago Silva’s late run into the box saw him evade his marker and powerfully head home Marcos Alonso’s corner for the opener.

N’Golo Kante doubled Chelsea’s lead when the humble midfielder’s effort from range was heavily deflected, leaving his French compatriot Hugo Lloris with no chance of keeping it out.

The Blues added a third through Antonio Rudiger in stoppage time, securing a sixth successive away victory in London derbies, the longest streak in their history.

Liverpool 3-0 Crystal Palace

It was by no means as simple as the scoreline suggests, but Liverpool did find a way to get past a stubborn Crystal Palace side.

Minutes before the break, Liverpool went ahead through Sadio Mane – it was his 100th Reds goal across all competitions and a record-breaking ninth goal in nine consecutive matches against the South Londoners.

Odsonne Edouard wasted a glorious chance to level after he miscontrolled the ball when one-on-one with Alisson.

And Palace were made to pay when Mohamed Salah powerfully fired home from Virgil van Dijk’s flick-on, before Naby Keita put the match beyond all doubt with a fine volley.

West Ham United 1-2 Manchester United

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer had players at both ends of the field to thank, as his Manchester United side extended their record-breaking unbeaten away run with a win in East London.

It was the Hammers who had taken the lead when Said Benrahma’s curling shot – which was heading for the right side of the goal – deflected off of Raphael Varane and found itself in the bottom left corner.

Their lead lasted just five minutes as, you guessed it, Cristiano Ronaldo netted his fourth goal in three matches – tapping home from close range after Lukasz Fabianski failed to hold his initial effort.

Second-half substitute Jesse Lingard came back to haunt the club that reignited his career just a few months ago, when he scored a fine effort to complete the turnaround.

But West Ham were given a golden opportunity to level things up in the final minutes of stoppage time, as VAR awarded them a penalty after Luke Shaw was adjudged to have blocked a cross with his arm. 

Mark Noble was substituted on specifically to  take the spot kick, but his first and only touch of the match was well saved by goalkeeper David De Gea.

Aston Villa 3-0 Everton

Villa Park was bouncing once again after a fine ten minute second-half spell from Dean Smith’s men put Everton to the sword.

Matty Cash sent the Villans into the lead on 66 minutes, firing home his first goal in claret and blue.

Then substitute Leon Bailey sprung into life – his header in the 69th minute was turned into the net by Lucas Digne, before he got a goal of his own after being fed through by Danny Ings.

The Jamaica international was then replaced himself, becoming just the second Aston Villa player to come on as a substitute, score, and then be substituted in a Premier League match, after Julian Joachim did so against Derby County in September 2000.

Manchester City 0-0 Southampton

After calls for more fans to attend the Etihad during the week, it was Manchester City’s forwards who went missing on Saturday, as they were held to a goalless draw by Southampton.

For all of the Citizens’ 64% possession, they could only muster up one shot on target – and that came in the 90th minute when Phil Foden’s saved header fell kindly to Raheem Sterling on the rebound to tap home, but Sterling was found to be offside.

Earlier in the game, Southampton had been awarded a penalty and the hosts were reduced to 10 men when Kyle Walker fouled Adam Armstrong, but both decisions were overturned following a VAR review by Jon Moss.

Brighton & Hove Albion 2-1 Leicester City

Brighton’s bright start to the season continued at the Amex, with their first Premier League victory against Leicester.

Neal Maupay gave the Seagulls a 35th minute lead from the penalty spot after a VAR review showed Jannik Vestergaard had blocked Shane Duffy’s header with his arm.

Five minutes into the second half, Danny Welbeck doubled the hosts lead when he headed home a Leandro Trossard cross.

Jamie Vardy pulled one back with his 150th Foxes goal in all competitions on his 250th Premier League appearance.

The visitors would leave frustrated after two further goals from Ademola Lookman and Wilfried Ndidi were disallowed – Harvey Barnes was stood in an offside position on both occasions, obscuring the view of keeper Robert Sanchez.

Norwich City 1-3 Watford

The battle of last season's Championship top two ended with the same outcome as both meetings in 2020-21 – a Watford win.

Xisco Munoz’s men took a 17th minute lead through an Emmanuel Dennis header, before they were pegged back by Teemu Pukki’s first goal from open play this campaign.

A second-half brace from Ismaila Sarr, thanks to some suspect Canaries defending, secured all three points for the Hornets.

Wolverhampton Wanderers 0-2 Brentford

The Bees secured their first ever Premier League away victory thanks to a man-of-the-match display from Ivan Toney.

Last season’s record-breaking Championship top scorer found the net through a penalty that he won himself, having been fouled by Fernando Marcal.

Toney then assisted Brentford’s second when he played in Bryan Mbeumo for his first Premier League goal.

The Bees' work wasn’t done, however, as they played the final third of the match with 10 men after Shandon Baptiste was shown a second yellow card.

Burnley 0-1 Arsenal

Arsenal secured a second-successive win to alleviate the pressure on under-fire boss Mikel Arteta.

Martin Odegaard’s fine free-kick on the half-hour mark was ultimately the difference between the two sides, but the Gunners have Aaron Ramsdale to thank at the other end.

Wave after wave of Burnley attacks came in the second half, but the Clarets just couldn’t find a way past the former Sheffield United stopper.

Newcastle United 1-1 Leeds United

There was tension in the air at St James’ Park on Friday night, but a tenacious showing from the Magpies’ players helped Steve Bruce avoid a major onslaught of criticism.

Leeds had taken the lead 13 minutes in, as Raphinha’s cross was cleverly dummied by Rodrigo and found its way past goalkeeper Karl Darlow.

Allan Saint-Maximin scored a trademark goal in the 44th minute, dancing past a handful of Leeds players before firing home.

But the second half failed to match the energy of the first, as both sides remain winless after five games of the season.




V: 1.22.1 All rights reserved. August 2021